Keep your insurance valid after Brexit with a Green Card

The consequence of Brexit is far reaching and, for those travelling to EU countries, it’s particularly important to stay informed of the legalities.

Posted on | Posted in General



What is a Green Card and do I need one?

Are you one of the 55% of UK drivers who don’t know they need a Green Card now we have left the EU?

Just one in three people have heard of the motor insurance Green Card. It is a document that shows evidence of valid motor insurance – and can be obtained through your insurer or insurance broker (that’s us!) You can even print it out at home. You just need to make sure you have some green paper at the ready (any shade of green will do just fine), although it has been confirmed that in it is acceptable to have the card printed on white paper.

The Green Card demonstrates you’re covered for driving in the country you’re travelling to. You won’t need to buy additional insurance cover. You just need a document that proves you have it. Remember – showing the document on your phone will not be accepted.

You won’t need to tell your insurer every time you travel in the EU, but you will need to make sure your Green Card is valid for the dates you are travelling. It goes without saying but we’ll say it anyway – if the travel dates are outside of your period of cover, or your policy has been cancelled or lapsed, your Green Card will be invalid. If you’ve moved to a different insurance company you’ll need to have a new Green Card issued by them.

What Do I Need To Do?

Following the completion of the transition period on 31st December 2020, you now need to take this action for any driving trips to the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra.

UK-registered cars will need to display a GB sticker when driving in any of the 27 EU countries – though you do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

In some countries an International Driving Permit is required – to see specific requirements for each country, you can find specific guidance from the government here.

If you are a Romero client it’s important to give us reasonable notice ahead of any EU trips so we are able to prepare and provide your green card. Insurers recommend at least six weeks notice where this is feasible, but we will endeavour to turn this round for you as quickly as possible as soon as you notify us of your trip.

If you have any questions about driving abroad and are a Romero client, speak to your usual point of content. And if you’re yet to work with us, find out how we can protect you and your fleet by email us on

What happens if I don’t have a Green Card and drive in an EU member state anyway?

You could be accused of driving without insurance. This could land you with a hefty fine, prosecution or you could have your vehicle seized. Not an ideal start to your business trip or holiday, we’re sure you’ll agree.

Do fleet vehicles need a Green Card?

Yes. All fleet operators will need to get a valid Green Card for every vehicle driving in EU countries. This could pose a problem if a driver is already overseas when a policy is up for renewal, or if they lose their Green Card. It’s best to plan as far in advance as possible, and speak to your insurer or insurance broker to arrange the cards you need.

What else do I need to know about travelling abroad?

If you’re involved in an accident, follow the same procedures you would do in the UK. Gather as much evidence as possible, obtain the insurance details of the other driver and contact your insurer as soon as possible. You don’t legally need a European Accident Statement – it just might make things a little easier if you do have a “just in case” copy in your glovebox.

If you are a Romero client and have the Romero Claims App, you can use this to submit your claim immediately. The green card we provide to you also contains all the information you need to make a claim, but we will continue to manage this process on your behalf. So you just need to take down as much information and evidence as possible and follow the guidance provided by our team.

How do I access a green card?

If you or any of your drivers are travelling abroad, and you’re already a Romero customer, the process is simple.

You can call or email your usual Romero point of contact, and we’ll organise a green card for you so you or your staff are able to safely and legally drive into the EU if there is no deal after 31st December.

If you’re not sure who your usual point of contact is, you can call us on 0113 281 8110, or email


Motor Fleet Resources

We have a selection of resources to support fleet managers & drivers, read more below:

  • Learn about our motor fleet cover here
  • Read our fleet insurance whitepaper here
  • See our employers guide to modified vehicles here
  • The importance of fitting fleet vehicle CCTV here
  • How we developed our own claims app to support drivers here
  • Access winter driving advice here
Next Story:
Previous Story:

Get in Touch

  • Romero Insurance Brokers LinkedIn
  • Romero Insurance Brokers Twitter
  • Romero Insurance Brokers Facebook
  • Romero Insurance Brokers Instagram

Keep Up To Date